Friday, March 4, 2011

CONSISTENTLY INCONSISTENT

Consistently Inconsistent
Every Sunday I make homemade rolls. My family loves them and they have become a “must have” with the weekly roast dinner. I mix up the dough on Saturday night and then on Sunday morning, I roll the dough into two circles and then cut the circle in half and half again and again until I have 16 triangles on each circle to make 32 crescent rolls. Well one morning I was looking at the cookie sheet full of rolls and laughed at myself as I realized that I so carefully tried to make the rolls the same and yet there were not two the same size. Since that time I have noticed every week is the same. The good news is that once they are cooked, they all taste just as good whether small, large or something in between. I decided that I was definitely consistently inconsistent. Oh me!
Well I started thinking of all the Christians in the world. We are every imaginable color and size and yet inside we are all the same - just sinners saved by grace. I guess you could say we as Christians are consistently inconsistent as well.
Now there is another side to this kind of thinking. I know in my life I always know who I can depend upon. There are people you know will accomplish the task no matter what it takes and yet we all have others in our life that we just can’t trust to complete a task as promised.
James 1:8- A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.
I don’t want to be that double minded man. I have though at times started projects only to lose interest and not finish. We have been getting our house ready to sell and last week I just felt like giving up. The work just seemed too much. My sister put me back on track when she rebuked me for working so hard all these months and then be willing to quit right before I was finished - shame on me. I am back in the game now and determined not to be “double minded” any more.
I wonder how God feels when he asks us to do something and we don’t complete the job and He has to lay it on the heart of someone else to finish it for us. It must make God sad and think how it makes those who depend on us feel when we don’t finish what we have been asked to do. Do you want to be known as consistently inconsistent - not me!
My prayer for me is that I will not be consistently inconsistent in my walk with the Lord. I want others to be able to depend on me and trust I will finish what I start.
I think now that I will look at my rolls in a completely different way - I can thank God that he loves us all no matter what size or color we might be. I also will stop to think if God can depend on me to live a consistent life for Him and use that time as an opportunity to make any changes that might be necessary. Never forget I John 1:9- If we confess our sins - he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
My wish for you is to examine your own life and try to see to it that you aren’t consistently inconsistent with your walk with the Lord. Maybe you could try making homemade rolls- who knows what lessons the Lord will teach YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment