Tuesday, March 15, 2011

LESSONS FROM THE SUN ROOM

LESSONS FROM THE SUN ROOM
It seems that cleaning my house has given me yet another article. This time it is the sun room. This room was supposed to be a place for me to sit and enjoy my tea of a morning and relax and look out on the beautiful day. Arliss built if for me and I so appreciated it at the time but that was BG (Before Grandkids). It is now a toy room with books and toys and a table for the kids to enjoy. I didn’t mind giving it up for them - it does keep the toys out of the house - at least most of the time.
Periodically that room needs a good cleaning. The very nature of a sun room means open windows and so the dirt blows right in with all our wonderful Oklahoma wind. We are getting our house ready to sell so it was time for a good cleaning.
All was going well until I got to the windows. A few months back I had a young lady come and clean for me and she had washed the sun room windows. I couldn’t find the step ladder and so I told her to just clean the outside windows as far as she could reach. As I started cleaning the windows outside, I realized that the top few inches were really more dirty and I remembered that it was the part of the window that didn’t get cleaned in the fall. No problem, I thought - I will just put extra liquid on them and I washed them all. As I stepped down and looked back though, I noticed that the tops of the windows were still dirty. Once again I washed the tops. This went on for 3 and on some windows 4 times. I couldn’t believe how difficult it was to get the built up dirt off the tops of those windows. I will remember from now on to get the whole window cleaned every time.
It made me think about sin. When we have sin in our life all we have to do is go to the Lord and confess it and he will forgive us of that sin and cleanse us from unrighteousness as I John 1:9 tells us. I have noticed though that we sometimes develop bad habits and refuse to take them to the Lord as we just aren’t quite ready to give them up. Well just like the dirt on the windows - that sin builds up and gets tough. Now it isn’t hard for the Lord but it is hard for us. A habit that develops over time becomes almost impossible to remove from our life. It is all so unnecessary. If we just daily stay committed to serving the Lord with our whole heart, we will be open to hear the Lord’s conviction of the things that are not right in our lives.
Why should we suffer the pain of having to try and try and try before breaking that bad habit when we can rid ourselves of the sin easily if we just hear and respond to God’s call of repentance.
I would tell you to think about the sins in your life every time you clean your windows to make sure there are no bad habits developing, but if you are like me - you don’t clean the windows that often. I think instead I will just say to you to each day seek God’s face and surrender your life a fresh to God’s control and let him point out the sins that need to be cleansed. You will then never suffer that pain of having to try and try and try to break a bad habit - and that is a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment